Venue: Virtual Meeting Room via Zoom. View directions
Contact: Town Clerk
Apologies for Absence
To consider apologies and reasons for absence.
Committee members who are unable to attend the meeting should notify the Democratic Services Officer (firstname.lastname@example.org) prior to the meeting, stating the reason for absence.
Apologies for absence were received from Cllrs R Bolger, L Duncan and D Harvey.
Declarations of Interest
Members are reminded to declare any disclosable pecuniary interests in any of the items under consideration at this meeting in accordance with the Town Council’s code of conduct.
There were no interests declared by members at the meeting.
receive an consider the report of the Town Clerk to facilitate a
discussion on priorities to be included in the Council's
The Committee received and considered the report of the Town Clerk concerning the creation of a Corporate Strategic Plan for Witney Town Council.
As a recommendation emanating from the Council’s ongoing organisational review, members agreed that the creation of a strategic plan, encompassing its vision and objectives was highly important. Councillors views on top aspirations had been compiled from a survey issued by the Town Clerk and the results included projects such as the Corn Exchange refurbishment, West Witney Sports Ground and improvement to sports facilities.
There was agreement that Committee Chairs and the senior management team of the Council should be involved in the next stage by way of a task and finish group. Each committee could discuss projects for the plan in the next committee cycle and officers could pull together all existing, planned and budgeted projects for the current year and for 2021/22 as part of this process.
The Town Clerk confirmed that Council objectives had already been agreed earlier in the year and these would be included along with committee terms of reference by the task and finish group.
1. That the report be noted and that the Council forms a Task and Finish Group to be made up of Committee Chairs to work with the Senior Management Team in formulating a draft Corporate Strategic Plan; and,
2. That each committee in the forthcoming cycle has this agenda item for consideration so that a draft plan may be presented to the next ordinary meeting of the Council.
Exclusion of Press and Public
To consider and if appropriate, to pass the following resolution:
That in accordance with section 1(2) of the Public Bodies (Admissions to Meetings) Act 1960, and as extended by Schedule 12A of the Local Government Act 1972, the public, including the press, be excluded from the meeting because of the confidential nature of the following business to be transacted.
That in accordance with section 1(2) of the Public Bodies (Admissions toMeetings) Act 1960, and as extended by Schedule 12A of the Local Government Act 1972, the public, including the press, be excluded from the meeting because of the confidential nature of the following business to be transacted.
To receive and consider the confidential report of the Compliance and Environment Officer – to follow.
The Committee received and considered the report of the Compliance & Environment Officer and confidential correspondence from the Town Clerk circulated prior to the meeting.
Members thanked officers for the reports and discussed a recent Fire Risk Assessment carried out at West Witney Sports & Social Club. Under health and safety, the committee raised concerns regarding the Council’s legal and statutory obligations as the Landlord and landowner. There was also an understanding that residents’ council tax and the Clubs own funds should not be spent on the building while its future was uncertain. Although there was a commitment by the Town Council to invest in this site, the timeframes for significant sports re-development funding were unknown at this stage. The Committee agreed it would be sensible to investigate the possibility of temporary structures for sports teams who may use the site while discussions on further development continued.
The Committee agreed that the Council should engage positively with the Club at an early stage to achieve a mutually beneficial outcome for the site in the short term as well as in the future.
1. That the report be noted; and,
2. That Witney Town Council, noting the time frame for urgent work to be carried out on high priority items in the recent Fire Risk Assessment, writes to West Witney Sports & Social Club to express serious concern regarding the content and to ask for a constructive meeting to be held with the Council at the earliest opportunity. The meeting to discuss the FRA along with the short, medium and long-term future of the Sports Ground and its facilities; and,
3. That this matter be delegated to the Town Clerk, Cllr Ashbourne, Cllr Butterfield and Cllr Gwatkin; and
4. That a progress update on the above meeting or response be presented to the Sport & Play Committee at its meeting on 11 January 2021; and,
5. That the potential use of temporary toilets and changing rooms be investigated by officers, with a report to the Sport & Play Committee at its meeting on 11 January 2021.